Castello di Grumello is a residence with medieval origins, centred within a wine-growing estate in the heart of the Valcalepio valley, a hilly stretch between Bergamo and Lake Iseo. Built around the year 1000 as a military fortress with a watchtower, given its strategic position, it later became the residence of the Captain Bartolomeo Colleoni during the clashes between the Republic of Venice and the Duchy of Milan. Remaining from this era are the tower, with its Guelph battlements, the cross-vaulted guardhouse, dungeons and large vaulted cellars where the Castello di Grumello estate wines now mature. Beginning in the 18th century, the Castello was transformed into a patrician residence with a simple and austere style. The ancient ramparts were transformed into a courtyard surrounded by a crown of centuries-old horse-chestnuts whilst the complex was embellished with a private chapel rich in stucco and stained glass. Since this time, ownership has passed to various noble families: the Counts Suardo, the Marquises Del Carretto, the Gonzaga di Vescovado princes. It was Prince Gonzaga del Carretto himself who, in the second half of the 19th century, privately imported from France some rooted cuttings of a new vine variety, which the Bergamasque farmers called Burdunì. It was actually Cabernet Sauvignon.
For three generations, the estate then belonged to the Milanese Kettlitz Reschigna family who acquired it in 1953 from the Gonzaga family.
Since the 1950s, thanks to the technical support in the past from Oenologist Carlo Zadra and today from Paolo Zadra, the Castello and its Cellar have given new impetus to the wine-making tradition of the Grumello area with the production of high-quality wines. The Castello and its Cellars are members of the Movimento Turismo del Vino.
In 2022, the estate changed hands once more and is now managed by Angelo and Daniel Gotti.